Old South Military Antiques

Leech & Rigdon Spur
Item #: OS-7497




The excavated spur shown here was made by the firm Thomas Leech & Company, known as the Memphis Novelty Works. Thomas S. Leech moved to Memphis, Tennessee in 1854 to establish a cotton dealership. It was financed by his partners: his brother John B. Leech, Thomas Harrison, Sir Arthur Forwood, and Sir William Bower Forwood of Liverpool, England. Leech opened the firm of Thomas Leech & Co., Cotton Broker, at 35 Front Row Street in Memphis.
As war became imminent, Leech and his partners began to expand their business to include war material. The military items were sold under the name of "Memphis Novelty Works, Thomas Leech & Co”. Under this name Leech manufactured Swords, Spurs, Side Knives, Belts, Buckles and Pistols. Leech later formed a partnership with Charles H. Rigdon and renamed the partnership Leech & Rigdon in 1862.
The excavated example shown here is perfect except for the missing rowel and has a deep beautiful woodsey patina.

Sold