|Description and Photograph||
In November of 1861, Edward Spiller of Baltimore, Maryland and David Burr of Richmond, Virginia, along with Lt. Col. James Burton contracted to make revolvers for the Confederate Government. The factory was first set up in Atlanta, Georgia. The first guns were completed in December of 1862. The First Models proved unserviceable and a Second Model began production in the spring of 1863. Spiller & Burr continued production until January of 1864, when the C. S. Government bought them out and moved the armory to Macon, Georgia. The armory was closed permanently in December of 1864 due to pressure from Sherman.
During its short life-span, approximately 1,500 revolvers were completed. Number 1107 is shown here. It was made or finished in the spring of 1864 at the Macon, Georgia Armory. The revolver is extremely well marked; the serial numbers are stamped into the butt strap, the center pin, the underside of the barrel, the frame, the trigger guard, the loading lever and on the inside of both grips. All of the stampings are clear and crisp.
The revolver is in perfect working order. It is one hundred percent original, even the screws and the springs. The grip stocks are tight. The brass frame has a beautiful natural patina. All of the iron parts are smooth and have sharp edges. It has original blue scattered throughout. The lines are crisp and sharp.
Overall this is one of the finest Spiller & Burr revolvers in existence, and with its beautiful untouched patina, one of the most attractive. Another nice tidbit is that the revolver is listed by serial number in William Albaugh’s 1963 edition of Confederate Handguns.