Old South Military Antiques

Palmetto Pistol
Item #: OS-6683






This single shot pistol was made at the Palmetto Armory in Columbia, South Carolina. The Palmetto Armory was founded in the early1850s by William Glaze to make and supply arms to South Carolina’s State Militia. The armory had a contract with the state government to supply one thousand pair of these pistols and assorted other arms. The pistol contract was later reduced to 1,000 pistols, or 500 pair. He was to begin delivery in January of 1852, but no pistols were delivered until well into 1853. Glaze did manage to complete this contract in 1853.

All of these pistols were owned by the state of South Carolina and as such they were housed at the state arsenal. After the secession fever of the early 1850s died down, the pistols were no longer needed and remained in storage until 1860 when a clash between North and South seemed inevitable. The arms stored in the arsenal were issued to South Carolina’s cavalry.

The Palmetto pistol is made on the U.S. model 1842 pattern. It has a .54 smoothbore barrel. The barrel is deeply marked Wm Glaze & Co on the left barrel flat. The breech is stamped with a Palmetto tree and a "V”. The lock plate is stamped Columbia SC forward of the hammer and 1852 is deeply stamped behind the hammer.

The pistol is in 100% original condition. It was over cleaned in the past, but has toned back down. The bore is in very good condition. The wood is very good, having the normal dings of a used pistol, but retains sharp edges. The tang date is obliterated; the Wm Glaze & Co, date and Palmetto Armory stampings are good, but not crisp.

It is an exceptionally nice gun for the price.
Price $3,995.00 USD