Old South Military Antiques

Georgia State Armory D Guard
Item #: OS-7035



The D-Guard knife shown here was made at the Georgia Armory in Milledgeville, Georgia. Early in the War the state of Georgia took over the old penitentiary in Milledgeville and turned it into an armory. There they produced muskets, bayonets, swords and knives, though it was a very limited production. In the fall of 1864, the armory was burned by the 3rdWisconsin Infantry under Sherman’s direction. Though this knife and scabbard have long been recognized as Confederate Armory products because of its form and the materials used in its construction, only recently were they positively identified as having come from the Georgia Armory at Milledgeville. Recently a very nice example of this pattern was brought into the Antiques Road show by the descendents of one of Sherman’s men. The Yankee had pasted a label to the scabbard that told of the knife’s history. The inked label reported that the knife and hundreds like it were taken from the Milledgeville Armory.

Like all of the knives of this pattern, the Georgia D-guard is a whopping 23 inches. The knife has a semi bright blade with numerous edge nicks on the lower half. The grip and the guard remain tight. The scabbard is mostly there, but the top half is split along the top, and the stitching is loose along the bottom. The scabbard displays well with it, but it is not a solid scabbard.


Sold