Old South Military Antiques

Spiller & Burr Revolver
Item #: OS-6675








In November of 1861, Edward Spiller of Baltimore, Marylandand David Burr of Richmond, Virginia, along with Lt. Col. James Burton contracted to make revolvers for the Confederate Government. The factory was first set up in Atlanta, Georgia. The first guns were completed in December of 1862. The First Models proved unserviceable and a Second Model began production in the spring of 1863. Spiller & Burr continued production until January of 1864, when the C. S. Government bought them out and moved the armory to Macon, Georgia. The armory was closed permanently in December of 1864 due to pressure from Sherman.

During its short life-span, approximately 1,500 revolvers were completed. Number 1031 is shown here. It was made or finished in the spring of 1864 at the Macon, Georgia armory. The serial numbers are stamped into the butt strap, the center pin, the underside of the barrel, the loading lever and on the inside of both grips. All of the stampings are clear and crisp.

The revolver is in perfect working order. It is one hundred percent original, even the screws and the springs. The grip stocks are tight. The stocks are crosshatched; presumably this was done in the field and not at the factory. The brass frame has a beautiful natural patina. Most of the iron parts are smooth and have sharp edges. Some of the original finish remains on the cylinder and loading lever.

The revolver is in excellent condition overall.

Sold

Copyright © 2020 OldSouthAntiques.com All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
Powered by Web-Cat Copyright © 1996-2020 GrayCat Systems