Old South Military Antiques

Leech & Rigdon Belt
Item #: OS-6651




The maker of this officer’s sword belt is Leech & Rigdon. Thomas S. Leech, had moved to Memphis, Tennessee in 1854 to establish a cotton dealership. It was financed by his partners: his brother John B. Leech, Thomas Harrison, Sir Arthur Forwood, and Sir William Bower Forwood of Liverpool, England. Leech opened the firm of Thomas Leech & Co., Cotton Broker, at 35 Front Row Street in Memphis. As war became imminent, Leech and his partners began to expand their business to include war material. The military items were sold under the name of "Memphis Novelty Works Thomas Leech & Co”. Under this name Leech manufactured Swords, Side Knives, Belts, Buckles and Pistols. Leech later formed a partnership with Charles H. Rigdon and renamed the partnership Leech & Rigdon in 1862.

With the capture of Forts Henry and Donelson in the spring of 1862 and the subsequent fall of the state of Tennessee into Union hands, Leech and Rigdon decided to relocate their business to Columbus, Mississippi and build a factory adjacent to the Confederate Briarfield Arsenal. Later in 1862, with Sherman making a threat to Mississippi, the Confederate Government decided to relocate the arsenal to Selma, Alabama. Leech and Rigdon relocated with the Arsenal and remained in Selma for a short period. In March of 1863 Leech and Rigdon separated from the arsenal and moved their operations to Goldsboro, Georgia.

During the period from November 6, 1861 through June 18, 1862, Thomas Leech & Co. delivered to the Confederate Army Depot 2,017 swords, scabbards and sword belts. On July 26, 1862 Leech & Rigdon delivered 750 sets of gun mountings at $3.00 per set and 7 swords at $25.00 each; on August 4th another 30 swords were delivered as well as 400 pairs of spurs at $1.75 each. As you can see from the above, swords came with a sword belt. This high grade officer’s belt, as denoted by the patent leather over cloth webbing, would likely have accompanied one of the company’s higher grade swords. This cloth webbing was to give strength to the patent leather belt, which by itself could not stand field use. Because of this webbing the belt is as strong as when it was made. Even though much of the patent leather is gone, the belt remains flexible and strong enough to place on a mannequin. This pattern is extremely rare and this example has the distinctive "L” stamped into the wreath’s recessed face. The belt and buckle are completely original; no restoration has been done. The belt was once part of the award winning Confederate belt collection of Jerry Fertitta
Price $6,400.00 USD

Copyright © 2019 OldSouthAntiques.com All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
Powered by Web-Cat Copyright © 1996-2019 GrayCat Systems